Tuesday, May 15

Why I Adore Wyona

In my family we do not celebrate Mother's Day, we celebrate Wyona's Day.  As my mother, Wyona has always said that we should not revere, praise, adore, and enjoy our mother's only one day a year but every day of the year.  With this instilled in us as teenagers, we continue to celebrate our altered version of this yearly holiday as a family.

This year my mother was on a cruise in some remote sea or ocean and unreachable.  Family members did send emails with funny stories, witty responses, best memories, and the like.  Wyona thanked us and we each took time to think about the amazing woman that raised seven children while moving all over the world, country to country.  She has survived by pure will as we are all different, unique and challenging (yet so entertaining) as children and now as adults.

As an homage to Wyona I rented a movie last week that reminded me of her.  You see, she is addicted to old time movies.  1940's musicals, dance films of the 1950's, and black and white, silver screen movies of the early 1900's.  When she has time, is sewing or completing small jobs we all have to do to keep life going, she is watching Turner Classic Movies (TCM).  When I am in town I plop on the couch, chat, watch, listen, chat more, watch again.  These movies always have and always will remind me of my amazing mother.

The other day at the library I realized I can rent videos for $1.20 so I grabbed a few.  When I saw, The Barkleys of Broadway (1949), I missed my mum and had to watch it.  From the film education I received from her, I know there are few musical and dance combinations in the world of film like Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.  It was the perfect choice.

The dance scene of the two of them, he in a tux, she is a flowing white dress, I watched three times.  The plot presents them as a somewhat agreeable married couple known for there stage talent, have split up because Ginger's character wants to try dramatic stage acting rather than the comedy they have repeatedly performed.  They split up as a couple and he woes her back with this Gershwin song and dance number (with a little help from the friend that introduces the scene.)  Such talent, poise, feet movement and ability.  I am grateful to have a mother that has taught me many things, one of which is an appreciation of older entertainment that remains relevant and enjoyable to watch.

I suggest you watch it once and keep your eyes on Fred Astaire, then watch it again and keep your eyes on Ginger Rogers.  He is so smooth, and she appears as delicate as a flower and knows when to grab her skirt and give it a flip to get it moving.  Love this musical!  Love these types of movies!

Enjoy the wee scene snippet from the movie!
Love your mum!
Enjoy her every day!

 

3 comments:

  1. I wish I could have been in on the Mothers Day emails that went to Wyona. I adore stories about her too. Put me in the copies next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were right about that clip you posted wth Astaire and Rogers. Well worth an email pause to watch -- even just watching his black patent shoes as they step / pause / slid and then turn her on those twists! And watching the folds of material float in her skirt? Yes. I loved the introduction by Oscar Levant as well. The whole thing, fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your lovely tribute Tonia. We all had a part in making wonderful memories for each other. Right now I am out spending your inheritance. However, I am borrowing someone else's internet which is free. I will eat some Leonidas in Brussels for you in a few days. Love, Wyona

    ReplyDelete