Wednesday, January 9

Financial Irony and Toolkits

This week I received mail from my Member of Parliament (MP) Joyce Bateman.  She is letting me know that the "our government wants to strengthen financial literacy across the country".  This sudden need for the population of Canada to become more financially literate is in part due to the increasingly large individual non-mortgage related debt load we are accruing each year.  So there is this new nifty website that you and I can use to assess our financial literacy and then decrease our individual debt load.  It appears to be well organized and have some sound advice and fun ways to determine the users financial literacy.

May I suggest an additional step to decrease the debt load for some Canadians would be for the government to offer more grants and scholarships (not based on GPA as a mark of those who are deserving), rather than hand me out more students loans (which I do appreciate), then charge me interest (which is hogwash).  Not sure how me paying interest back to the government on student loans is helpful for recent post-secondary grads and our financial debt load, but at least my financial literacy will increase in having to adjust my payments for such financial intricacies.   But, as usual, I digress.

Here is the website and I will look it over to see if my financial literacy is high enough to get out from under the load of debt I have accrued doing my master's degree:


In other, but related news, the federal government has hired a private company to help them increase their financial literacy.  The company has been hired by the federal government to find ways for the government to decrease its spending and save money, and for these services the company is being paid $90,000 per day, $20 million in total for the entire contract.  In response I just want to say...let me introduce you to a little tool kit of which I am aware ;)......


Here is Rick Mercer's response:

No comments:

Post a Comment