Friday, April 22

Surround Yourself With Intelligence

It has been a while.  Over the last two weeks I have written 50 pages of academic writing for 3 papers for 3 different classes on 3 different subjects.  This term was going to be tough and these papers pushed, pulled, squeezed, manipulated and crunched my brain into places that are new.  New knowledge.  New thoughts.  New theories.  New ideologies.  Moments on which to dwell in order to entwine these new concepts into my already formed ideas, thus pushing the boundaries of that which I thought I knew.  Education.  A way to open doors of thought that you did not even know existed.

Over the next few posts I will share with you the basic arguments, ideas and thoughts from the papers I wrote.  This may even include the stacks, and I mean STACKS of articles and books I have read over the last four months.  A small forest is cursing me at this moment.

For now I want to introduce you to Web 2.0.  What you may ask?  The newest phase of the internet, the web, this place, the place that has turned a corner.  An environment in which people are now seeking the thoughts of like-mided individuals to with whom to share their ideas, influence their opinions, solve problems, and improve decisions.  After reading an article about travellers using the internet in more of a Web 2.0 direction, I started seeing this place differently.  In the end, this new information served me well.  While writing one of my papers I became stuck.  Could not think of the correct word.  Completely mind-frozen.  So I turned to Facebook (the beloved and dreaded reference in many current conversations) to ask for friend help in selecting the correct word.  Many brains better than one.  True to

the reputation of Web 2.0, I was directed by many an intelligent friend in choosing the correct word. It was such fun to read through everyone's responses and I am adding them here. I learned again in my life, that selection of friend's based on intelligence, humour, kindness or decency, the best kinds of people to have around. Enjoy!

My Post:
Quick I need a word for a paper: one word that means a reference to the past. I.e. "The modern day temple at this festival is a _________ to historical temples built by all dominant religions around the world." What academic word can go in the blank people?

Within 3 hours I had 22 responses and then they continued:

Sarah
the only word that comes to mind is throwback, but that's not very academic.

Cristy
tribute?

Cristy
p.s. I'm not an academic but gave my opinion anyway. darn bossy teacher you know! ;)

Shelley 

tribute

Sarah
tribute sounds good


Shelley
symbol

Jeff
homage

Bev
obeisance

Deb
nod, acknowledgement

Deb
Bev just taught me a new word....

Shauna
if you change the wording a bit.. representative of would work

Shauna
Bev also taught me a new word

Bev
I'm not an academic but I do like words :)

Shelly
memorial

Shelley
salute

Shelley
depending on what you are trying to go for 'eulogy'

Rob
testament

Debbi
I like testament

Kathryn
homage?

Rob
I'm telling you, it's "testament"...trust your very old friend.

Shelley
Rob, I hate to disagree with you, and I do really like the word, but testament is only the right word IF the context is right. If she want to say "proof" or "support for" then testament is the right word. However, if the thrust of her statement or agrument assumes that they already exist, or their existence was valid, then she might want to select a different word. If she want to say that modern temples are a sign of respect to ancient temples obeisance would be the right word. If she want to say that modern temples relate to the ones in ancient times, symbol might be a better word...Oh no, I think I just went all teacher...there has to be a 12 step program for that!!

Dorian
In the context of a more passive, non-conscientious act or result, I would put forward the word allusion. Perhaps a little too literary, non?. Or possibly "a resulting by-product to historical temples built by all dominant religions around the world."

Dorian
Also homology or atavism depending on how critical you're being. I would argue modern temples are fast approaching atavism.

Catherine
My first thought was also 'throwback', but a fancier word could be retrogression. However, I am now in love with allusion - great word.

Shelley
Okay Cat, now I am hurt that you didn't pick any of my words...if you didn't have a far superior vocabulary and general understanding of the English language, so I would be outright offended.

Mikael
Make it, "in deference to."

Catherine
@Shelley - whilst my neglect of your contributions was both egregious and unintended, I can say with utter sincerity that I adore your use of the English language in all your updates and comments. (And NOT just because you said nice things about me! Thx ...) Word.

Mikael
It does depend upon whether they intentionally built the modern temple based on the dominant historical religions or if the modern temple simply ended up (by chance as it were) a reflection of the dominant religions. So maybe, in the latter case, "a reflection of."

Shelley
Tonia, you should put us all out of our misery and just tell us which word, or phrase, you chose!!

Rob
How about this...insert "...piece of turd compared...". That works too. :-D

Tonia
I love ALL OF YOU SOOOO much. It in reference to the temple built at the Burning Man festival, which is analogous to the temples built by many religions around the world. Since I am an auditory person, I will be writing all these words down, repeating them out loud in a sentence, then selecting the most sonorous one. I knew I had a pack load of incredibly intelligent friends. I knew it!!!


Rob
Well, now you're just sucking up. But, what she is really saying is, "I've found another word...thanks anyways". ;-)

Brandy
Tribute

Brandy
homage

Cristy
so what did you decide?

Jonathan
ynecdoche? Sorry, I have Charlie Kaufman on the brain.

Jonathan
And no, synecdoche doesn't work at all.


Tonia
Once again peeps, amazing!!!

Tonia
Ok, I had the opportunity to use several of the words as there were several sentences that these words fit into. The big winner was:

Tonia
ALLUSION. I also used: symbol, homage, acknowledgement, a reflection of, and analogous. I really tried hard to use atavism and retrogression, such magnificent words! Could not do it, but I am saving them for another paper, perhaps in my thesis. Once again, you are the most amazing thesauri ever! Merci beaucoup!!!


This is why I have the friends I have. The best of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment