Sunday, December 13

Pine Nuts: Are We Nuts?

Greg (my father): Do pine nuts, like the bag full of them on the cupboard, come from pine trees?

Wyona (my mother): Her head whips from side to side, me to my dad. I don't know.

Me: I am not sure either. I never thought about it.

Greg: OK, I'll look it up. He proceeds to the laptop and searches for the answer.

Greg: Hey, it says here that pine nuts do come from pine trees.

Wyona: What kind of pine trees. All of them or just some?

Greg: Begins to quote Wikipedia aloud, 'Pine nuts are the edible seeds of pines. Family, Pinaceae. Genus, Penis.”

Wyona: WHAT!?! Ha ha ha!

Tonia: Are you kidding? As is kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, species? The only biology I remember. That genus penis? Ha ha ha!

Greg: Yep! Ha ha ha! OK, maybe it is ‘peh-nis’ are ‘pI-nus’. I am not sure.

Wyona: Wasn’t there someone who had a joke about that?

Me: Yes Trent’s (my brother) friend Nathan was in the States trying to convince people that there was a place in Canada called Regina. No one believed that anyone would name a city Regina, a word that rhymed with vagina, so one guy said, ‘That is like calling a place Pehnis, Utah!’ Yep. Yep it is. And yes Regina exists.

Wyona: Ha ha, that’s right.

Greg: Continues quoting pine seeds info on Wikipedia, ‘About 20 species of pine produce seeds large enough to be worth harvesting; in other pines the seeds are also edible, but are too small to be of great value as a human food.”

Me: Just like some penises.

Wyona: TONIA!

Greg: Ha ha ha!

Wyona: Ha ha ha! Well, genus penis.

No comments:

Post a Comment